Wednesday, December 12, 2007

To Live is to Know

The autopoiesis article definitely resonated with me. I have always had this feeling that many things in the modern world seem so disjointed. It's a beautiful feeling when things overlap and connect. I just wrote my chemistry paper and the connections made between biodiversity and TCM feel autopoietic to me.

I do, however, feel that to live is not necessarily to know. A few individuals may come close to this, or perhaps experience true knowing while alive, but I have this feeling that we need to shed our physical shells to truly let go and know. Bu that is the work many of us do while alive--trying to get close to this knowing. A very interesting philosophical debate.


Memory & Magic

I haven't really changed my mind on this one. I have a friend who is an accomplished magician and he has taught me a few tricks. I do understand that drawing attention away from one thing and to another is often the key. So this is cool, and I like to call it magic because it is fun to have the illusion. And that is exactly what it is...illusion. Just like Annette or Arpita mentioned in class. But I don't consider that magic. To me, magic is often simple biology. Sitting in human anatomy and learning how the body is laid out and how it works. Its a mystery. That is truly magical. That a mother's breasts will bring milk as soon as a child is born--magical!

Memory is interesting, too. I am starting to think of most quirks in the "system" now more as qi gone awry. But that is really intriguing to ponder.

No comments: